Neverwinter’s profession system is boring and for the most part even broken. It is a browser-like setup that was built around the idea to also access it on mobile phones and browsers. But with the shutdown of the gateway this option is obviously gone. Additionally there are also a lot of profession tasks that need rework. For example, it’s impossible to supply a leveling character with gear because you level way faster than your professions and get better gear from drops anyway. Then some Leadership tasks that saw their Rough Astral Diamonds stripped were never compensated with added loot or a lower task time. These are just two examples of existing issues that need fixing.
What professions does Neverwinter have?
We have nine different primary professions in Neverwinter and various secondary professions like Black Ice Shaping and event ones. It’s way too much. I mean I like diversity but this is bonkers. Usually there are two different approaches for professions in MMORPGs. Either you go with few professions that sort of cover several classes or you have lots of professions, probably even a lot more than classes. In that case, the profession system should be a deep experience with it’s own quests and progression. It basically becomes a class system only for professions.
In all honesty I don’t see Neverwinter to be the latter example. So I’d say we cut down on primary professions:
Leadership and Alchemy stay as they are. Jewelcrafting and Artificing get fused into one profession called Enchanter. It makes no sense to me that Tailoring is only useful for a Control Wizard, the only class wearing cloth armor, so we also combine Leatherworking and Tailoring and call it Garment Maker. The three smithing professions are a natural fit as well and are now called Blacksmith.
Whats in each profession now?
- Leadership basically helps the player with general progression. XP, refinement items, gold, basic profession resources and enchantments.
- Alchemist stays similar to what we have. The profession provides buff potions, healing pots and dye. But I would also add new options like the Potion of Appearance Change. It’s basically a low grade variant from the buyable Appearance Change Token of the Zen Market. It changes the appearance but not the gender and comes in two different variants: The Unstable Appearance Change Potion randomizes the look of the character and the regular Appearance Change Potion will let you decide how you will end up.
- Enchanter infuses magical powers into existing items and sometimes need supplies from Garment Makers and Blacksmiths. It produces Rings, (Artifact)Belts, (Artifact)Cloaks and (Artifact)Weapons. The profession can only produce weapons for the CWs, SWs and DCs on its own. For all other things it needs special ingredients from other professions.
- Garment Maker does the same as Leatherworking and Tailoring. It provides armor for the classes TR, SW, HR and CW. But we change a few bits. I’d like to add transmutes for these classes so we can bring back some old and cool looking pieces of armor. It should also produce a few fashion items and bags. Especially newer players are in dire need of bag space. We have six slots for bags but only get four free bags. So we should be able to craft some smaller bags with 8, 12 or 18 slots. 20 slot bags are earned via Tiamat as rare drop and 24 + 36 Slot bags can be bought on the ZEN market. I think it’s not a big deal for Cryptic/PWE because they still hand out the two biggest bags.
- Blacksmith produces armor for GWF, GF, OP and DC. Additionally they produce weapons for GWF, HR, TR and OP. That means the profession covers four classes all the time. Just like the Garment Maker it should also have recipes for transmutes and supply the Enchanter.
That is the end of the first part of my design proposal. What do you think? Is cutting down/fusing the right call for the profession system? Share your thoughts in the comments below or visit the corresponding thread on our message board! You might also check out j0Shi’s proposals on how to save professions! In the next part I’ll explain how professions can be further improved. Not going to spoil a lot, but will say it has something to do with fish!
Neverwinter UN:Blogged is always looking for writers to contribute to the blog. If you are an active player and search for a way to spread your opinions, analysis, diaries or reviews to more than 40,000 regular visitors, then don’t hesitate and get in touch with us on our contact page or message board! We are currently especially looking for console and PVP content, but that’s not exclusive. There is no frequency requirement, you post how often you want.