As frequent reader of our site you probably know that selling and hostile overtaking of guilds has been an issue in Neverwinter since Strongholds attached actual value to them. Recently, even a new subreddit was founded to give buyers and sellers a platform. Since it’s not forbidden by the terms of service, there’s not much members can do if one of their leaders decide to unload the guild for whatever reason. But players still rightfully would like to have a little bit more protection to prevent abuse.
Currently, in Neverwinter, any single rank 7 guild leader can easily overtake the guild, sell it, and screw everyone. All you have to do is spam-kick all other rank 7s and you gain the sole control of a guild. There’s nothing anyone can do about it. And again, that’s not against the terms of service. Unless there’s evidence that the particular player got hacked, good luck getting you guild back. The current protection system is obviously lackluster, and requires an update. If Cryptic ever decides to introduce more security features against hostile takeovers, they might already have a solution in-house.
Star Trek Online Fleets
The Star Trek Online counterpart of guilds are fleets, and come with a vastly superior protection system. As laid out in our comment section, here are the features:
- Only one R7 character (not player!) can be demoted/kicked at any time.
- When you attempt to demote/kick a R7, a 48-hour counter pops up and all other R7s are notified of this on login.
- The demoted/kicked R7 is locked out of all guild management functions while the counter ticks down.
- Any other R7 may cancel the demote/kick at any time while the timer is running.
- If the timer expires without being cancelled, the demote/kick happens.
- PROMOTING TO R7 also carries a 48-hour timeout, but more than one person may be on R7 promotion timer at once. Any R7 may cancel any promotion to R7, freely.
- None of those rules apply to demoting/kicking yourself. So a fleet leader may voluntarily leave, no cooldown, no delays.
This is so great, right? With this system, any guild could at least protect itself from takeover if they at least have three R7 players. Because then one can’t kick the other two at once. Also leaders can protect themselves from getting kicked by having two R7 characters in the guild, because then the alt can cancel the demote/kick.
No System Will Be Perfect
Of course you could reason that Star Trek Online might make it too hard to get rid of an unwanted leader, but obviously no system will ever be perfect. But in Neverwinter it would indeed be nice to have a little extra security attached to the guild rank system. As we know, the different MMO teams in Cryptic HQ do work together and adopt stuff that makes sense. Well, guess what, the Star Trek Online Fleet protection system makes tons of sense for Neverwinter. So when will it happen?
What’s your take on guilds and its protection system? Are you ok with the current state of does the Star Trek Online one sound superior? Share your thoughts on our social channels, in the comments below, or visit the corresponding thread on our message board!
Neverwinter UN:Blogged is always looking for writers to contribute to the blog. If you are an active player and search for a way to spread your opinions, analysis, diaries or reviews to more than 40,000 regular visitors, then don’t hesitate and get in touch with us on our contact page or message board! We are currently especially looking for console and PVP content, but that’s not exclusive. There is no frequency requirement, you post how often you want.